In an article called 7 Unconventional Why You Absolutely Should Be Reading Books on The Huffington Post by Laura Schocker, she gives seven reasons why people should be reading books more. Her seven reasons are:
1. Reading can help your ability to ‘read’ others thoughts and feelings
2. Reading can chill you out.
3. It could keep your brain sharp.
4. It might even stave off Alzheimer’s disease.
5. Reading may help you sleep better.
6. Getting lost in a good book could even make you more empathetic.
7. Self-help books, on the other hand, can ease depression.
Now i don’t know about reading helping your ability to ‘read’ minds, but maybe ‘read’ other people’s feelings. I do however agree with the other six ways reading can help you. I love to read, and nothing feels better than sitting on the beach in the summer with a great book. It is the ultimate relaxing technique and always relieves my stress. I also agree with reading keeping your brain sharp. I have heard many people say that doing crosswords and word finds help you keep your brain sharp so I have no doubt that reading would do the same thing.
I feel like people aren’t reading as much as they used too, and in a poll done by HuffPost/YouGov poll they surveyed 1,000 US adults and found that 28% of them haven’t read a book in the past year! I found that crazy! Over 1/4 of people haven’t read a book in the past year, I feel this number would be even higher if more people were surveyed.
So lets make it a point to read more this year. Pick up a book and dive in!